August 7, 2013 by Scott Klepach
The Story Time reading program offered by Yakima Valley Museum and Ready by Five, and held at the museum, will continue through the month of August. Each themed session begins at 10 a.m. Wednesdays through the month.
Each week will feature crafts, snacks and a story based on a different theme:
Aug. 7: Dr. Seuss
Aug. 14: Superheroes
Aug. 21: Farm Animals
Aug. 28: Starting or Going Back to School
The free program is located in the Children’s Underground at Yakima Valley Museum, 2105 Tieton Drive, Yakima. Call 509-248-0747 for more info, or visit the website: yakimavalleymuseum.org.
August 1, 2013 by Scott Klepach
Catch up on reading, crafts, games and other fun activities at many Yakima Valley Libraries’ branches this August!
MOXEE LIBRARY. 255 W. Seattle, Moxee; 509-575-8854.
- Children’s Craft Day: 11 a.m. Aug. 5.
- Wii Gaming: 4 p.m. Aug. 27 & 29.
NACHES LIBRARY. 303 Naches Ave., Naches; 509-653-2005.
- Preschool story time: 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 7-28.
- Naches Kids’ Zone: Stories and crafts, 4 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 1-29.
SELAH LIBRARY. 106 S. Second St., Selah; 509-698-7345.
- Preschool story time: 10 a.m. Mondays, Aug. 5-26; 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 7-28; 10 a.m. Thursdays, Aug. 1-29.
- Baby Lapsit: 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 7-28.
- Summer Reading Program: Digging family activities, 10 a.m. Aug. 1 & 8.
- Adventures at Selah Library: Activities, books, games and crafts for all ages, 3:30 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 1-29.
SOUTHEAST LIBRARY, 211 S. 7th St., Selah; 509—576-0723.
- Tween Scene: Young adult books, fun and games, 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 7-28.
SUNNYSIDE LIBRARY. 621 Grant, Sunnyside; 509-837-3234.
- Toddler story time: Books, songs and finger plays, 11 a.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 7-28. Playtime starts at 11:30 a.m.
- Drop-in craft: 4 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 1-29.
- Preschool story time: 10:15 & 10:45 a.m. Fridays, Aug. 2-30.
- Family Movie: 2 p.m. Saturdays, Aug. 3-31.
TOPPENISH LIBRARY. 1 S. Elm, Toppenish; 509-865-3600.
- Preschool story time: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Aug. 8-22.
WAPATO LIBRARY. 119 E. Third St., Wapato; 509-877-2882.
- Booktalks: “Go Spelunking!” Make crafts and play games to explore caves and tunnels. 4 p.m. Aug. 1.
- Booktalks: “Cave Paintings.” Stories, crafts and games about cave paintings. 4 p.m. Aug. 8.
WEST VALLEY LIBRARY. 223 S. 72nd Ave., Yakima; 509-966-7070.
- Preschool story time: 10 & 11 a.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 7-28.
- Explore: Ages 6-12 can enjoy ativities, books, games and crafts. 3 p.m. Aug. 1-8.
YAKIMA LIBRARY. 102 N. Third St., Yakima; 509-452-8541.
- Preschool story time: 10:30 a.m. Thursdays, Aug. 1-29.
- Tween Scene: Fun and games for grades 4-7. 4 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 1-29.
- Summer Showtime Movies: 3 p.m. Saturdays, Aug. 3-24.
ZILLAH LIBRARY. 109 Seventh St., Zillah; 509-829-6707.
- Little Bunnies: Rabbit fun for ages 6-10. 2 p.m. Aug. 14.
- Diggin’ Up the Dirt: Construction story and craft for ages 6-10. 2 p.m. Aug. 21.
April 4, 2013 by Scott Klepach
Now that spring is here, Inklings Bookshop wants to celebrate the season by bringing in a very famous storybook character.
Peter Rabbit, along with his famous cotton-tail, will make an appearance at the bookstore Saturday, April 6 at 11 a.m. The Beatrix Potter character will hang around for a special story time session and photo op.
Inklings Bookshop, 5629 Summitview Ave., Yakima. Call 509-965-5830 or visit inklingsbookshop.com for more details.
March 19, 2013 by Scott Klepach
He rhymes with bat. He doesn’t usually wear a hat, and – oh! – we could go on about that. It’s Splat the Cat! And Yakima Valley Libraries around the valley will host programs based on the character.
Made famous in Rob Scotton’s “Splat the Cat” books, the cuddly feline is the focus of “Pat Splat the Cat” programs offered this April. Activities include stories, rhymes, crafts, songs and games.
Here’s the schedule for YVL’s “Pat Splat the Cat” offerings:
- April 19 at 10:30 a.m.: Sunnyside Library, 621 Grant, Sunnyside; 509-837-3234.
- April 22 at 11 a.m.: Moxee Library, 255 W. Seattle, Moxee; 509-575-8854.
- April 23 at 10:30 a.m.: Yakima Central Library, 102 N. Third St., Yakima; 509-452-8541.
- April 23 at 3:30 p.m.: Naches Library, 303 Naches Ave., Naches; 509-653-2005.
- April 24 at 10:30 a.m.: West Valley Library, 223 S. 72nd Ave., Yakima; 509-966-7070.
- April 24 at 1:30 p.m.: Selah Library, 106 S. Second St., Selah; 509-698-7345.
- April 25 at 10:30 a.m.: Terrace Heights Library, 4011 Commonwealth Drive, Yakima; 509-457-5319.
- April 25 at 3 p.m.: Granger Library, 508 Sunnyside Ave., Granger; 509-854-1446.
- April 26 at 10:30 a.m.: Toppenish Library, 1 S. Elm, Toppenish; 509-865-3600.
- April 26 at 4 p.m.: Wapato Library, 119 E. Third St., Wapato; 509-877-2882.
December 29, 2009 by Robin Beckett
Quite a few local bookstores and libraries host regular story times for children. The free events are a great way to introduce children to books and reading. Oftentimes the event features a craft, songs or other interactive activities. In the summer, Yakima Valley Libraries host a summer reading program with rewards for children who pledge to read over the summer.
ATTENTION!!! Please call to verify the schedule. We try to stay current, but gosh it’s hard…
BORDERS STORY TIME. Borders Books hosts story time at 11 a.m. Saturdays. Located at 1700 E. Washington Ave., Union Gap; 248-4018.
IMAGINATION LIBRARY STORY HOUR. Circle of Success, an early education program, offers a story hour for children up to age 5 the second Wednesday of each month. At 10 a.m., the program is in English, followed by Spanish at noon. This program meets at the Yakima Valley Museum, 2105 Tieton Drive, Yakima; 509-965-7100 ext.1019.
INKLINGS TODDLER STORY TIME. Inklings Bookshop hosts a toddler story time at 10 a.m. Tuesdays. Located in the Chalet Place shopping center, 5629 Summitview Ave., Yakima; 965-5830. (NOTE: For an extended excursion, break next door at Starbucks before crossing the parking lot to the Summitview Library, which typically holds a preschool story time at 11 a.m. Tuesdays.)
OUT ON A WHIM. Out On A Whim Children’s Bookstore and Imagination Station offers story time at 10:30 a.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays. Located at 108 S. Third Ave., Yakima. 576-3635.
YAKIMA VALLEY LIBRARIES
Moxee Library, 255 W. Seattle, Moxee; 575-8854. Preschool story hour and craft, 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
Selah Library, 115 W. Naches Ave., Selah; 698-7345. Baby Lapsit, 10 a.m. Wednesdays. Preschool story time and craft, 10 a.m. Thursdays.
Summitview Library, 5709 Summitview Ave., Yakima; 966-7070. Preschool story time, 11 a.m. Tuesdays.
Sunnyside Library, 621 Grant, Sunnyside; 837-3234. Preschool story time, 10 a.m. Fridays.
Terrace Heights Library, 4011 Commonwealth Drive, Yakima; 457-5319. Preschool Story Time, 10:15 a.m. Thursdays.
Union Gap Library, 3104 S. First St., Union Gap; 452-4252. Preschool story time and craft, 10 a.m. first Tuesdays.
Downtown Yakima Library, 102 N. Third St., Yakima; 452-8541. Baby lapsit, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays. Preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Thursdays.