July 25, 2013 by Scott Klepach
Mothers of preschoolers can join several MOPS groups around the Yakima area, beginning this September:
MOPS — FIRST PRESBYTERIAN. 9-11:15 a.m. Meets the first and third Fridays each month: New year begins Sept. 20. Meeting dues: $5. Child care, food, fellowship, speakers. First Presbyterian Church, 9 S. Eighth Ave., Yakima; 509-248-7940.
MOPS — LOWER NACHES. 9-11:30 a.m. Meets the third Friday each month, starting Sept. 20. Memorial Bible Church, 111 Old Stage Way, Gleed. Contact: Amy, 509-833-2934.
MOPS — MOUNTAINVIEW CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP. 6-7:30 p.m. Meetings are free; child care provided, through grade 5. Food, fellowship, speakers. Meets the second and fourth Wednesdays each month, beginning Sept. 11. Mountainview Christian Fellowship, 7105 Alpine Way, Yakima. Contact: Danielle, 509-833-2228.
MOPS — YAKIMA EVANGELICAL CHURCH. 9 a.m. Meets the last Wednesday each month, beginning Sept. 25. Yakima Evangelical Church, 7901 W. Nob Hill Blvd., Yakima; 509-965-5216.
January 10, 2009 by Robin Beckett
MOPS is an international Christian organization that seeks to build community and provide support for mothers of infants through kindergartners. Some groups have programs especially for teen mothers and grandmothers raising grandchildren.
Local groups meet once or twice a month, in the mornings or evenings, throughout the school year. Meetings typically include a speaker or program, refreshments and time for fellowship, games or crafts. Childcare is provided during meetings.
MOPS International dues are $20 per year; scholarships are available. Benefits include a book, a subscription to MOMSense Magazine and weekly e-mail encouragement. While your first visit is always free, most groups have dues of $4 or $5 per meeting to help cover expenses.
Here’s a list of local groups:
- FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. 9-11:15 a.m. most first and third Fridays, September through May. About 95 moms attend, including a special table for grandmothers raising grandchildren. Meeting dues: $5. Meets in the First Presbyterian Church gymnasium, 9 S. Eighth Ave., Yakima. Call Julie: 307-4887.
- LOWER NACHES (MEMORIAL BIBLE CHURCH). 9-11:30 a.m. third Fridays, September through May. About 25 moms attend. Meets at Memorial Bible Church, 111 Old Stage Way, Gleed. Call Mandy Rowe, 930-6441.
- MOMS IN TOUCH INTERNATIONAL. 10:45 a.m. to noon, first Mondays of each month. East Valley group. Moms, grandmas, aunts and others are welcome to join in praying for children and the East Valley schools and staff. Bring snacks or a lunch for the kids. Baby-sitting is provided for a small fee. Terrace Heights Presbyterian Church, 4303 Maple Court, Yakima. Contact Julie Byers at 453-0741.
- MOMSNEXT. 7 p.m. Open to all mothers with children in grades K-6, and mothers of preschoolers and homeschooled children are also welcome. Free. No childcare. Meets at Westside Church, 6901 Summitview Ave., Yakima. Contact Tera at 972-3001 or email@example.com.
- MOUNTAINVIEW CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP. 6-7:30 p.m. second and fourth Wednesdays, September through May. About 15 moms attend. Meets at Mountainview Christian Fellowship, 7105 Alpine Way, Yakima. Call Tabitha at 972-3723 or Danielle at 833-2228.
- NILE VALLEY COMMUNITY CHURCH. 8:45-11:15 a.m. third Fridays, September through May. Speakers, crafts, food. Free on-site childcare. Meets at Nile Valley Community Church, 60 Bedrock Lane, Naches; 509-658-2904.
- TEEN MOPS. This group provides a non-threatening environment where teen moms are encouraged by Christian women; see Mothers of Preschoolers. Open to teen mothers through age 21; about 15 moms attend. Meetings are free, including dinner and on-site childcare. Meets at Stanton Academy Alternative School, 901 W. Whitman St., Yakima. Call Holli Wolcott at 453-4206.
- WEST SIDE BAPTIST CHURCH. 9-11 a.m. second and fourth Mondays, September through May. About 85 moms attend. Meets at West Side Baptist Church, 6901 Summitview Ave., Yakima. Call Tera at 972-3001.
MOMMY CONNECTION is an outreach program of Westminster Presbyterian Church. The group meets every Wednesday from 9:30-11:30 a.m. The first hour is “mommy and me” play, while the second hour is just for moms; all ages welcome. Meetings are free.
Meets at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 6015 Summitview Ave., Yakima. For child care reservations and more information, call 966-1900. For more information about the group, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mom & Baby is a discussion group for moms with infants under 1 year. Meets from 10 a.m. to noon every Monday, except holidays. Meetings are free; bring your baby. Now meeting at Evangelical Lutheran Church, 10203 Tieton Drive, Yakima. Organized by Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital’s Community Education, 509-575-8484.
LA LECHE LEAGUE is an international support group for pregnant and breast-feeding mothers. Children are welcome, and meetings are free.
A morning group meets at 9 a.m. the fourth Thursday of each month at the YVCC Family Resource Center, 1101 S. 13th Ave., Yakima.
An evening group meets at 6 p.m. second Tuesdays at Cascade Women’s Health, 1601 Creekside Loop, just off 40th & Washington avenues, Yakima.
For nursing help or questions, call Denita at 575-3715, or Katy at 248-2610.
VALLEY FAMILIES (formerly Apple Valley Mothers & More) is a social and activity organization for Yakima-area mothers. This group says it’s not for “mom” but for the woman inside the mother. The group aims to give its members the opportunity to reconnect with their whole selves, make new friends and provide opportunities for family interaction (because dads need friends too).
Valley Families welcomes all mothers, working, stay-at-home and those in-between; with children of all ages. For more, call Melissa 972-2762 or e-mail email@example.com or visit bigtent.com/groups/valleyfamily.
TEEN MOPS. 3-5:30 p.m. third Tuesdays, October through May (second Tuesday in February). This group provides a non-threatening environment where teen moms are encouraged by Christian women; see Mothers of Preschoolers. Open to teen mothers through age 21; about 15 moms attend. Meetings are free, including dinner and on-site childcare. Meets at Stanton Academy Alternative School, 901 W. Whitman St., Yakima. Call Holli Wolcott at 453-4206.
YOUNG LIVES. A Christian-based mentor program and support group for pregnant or parenting teens through age 19. Group meets monthly in Yakima; weekly mentoring. Call Lanette Hooper at 452-6376.
June 1, 2007 by Robin Beckett
MOMS CLUB is an international support group that organizes daytime activities for stay-home mothers and their children. The Yakima chapter’s meetings are at 10 a.m. the third Wednesday of each month at Central Lutheran Church, corner of 16th and Yakima avenues. The group organizes playgroups, a babysitting co-op and weekly activities. Annual dues are $30. Nonmembers are allowed to attend two park days/business meetings before joining. For more information, call 509-494-8177, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.