10 Must-Do Camping Tips
1. Make a packing list. Between interruptions (you have kids, right?), you may need to pack over several days. A list will help you maintain sanity and not forget anything.
2. Plan meals. Make a thorough list of all ingredients and cooking supplies. Bring plenty of snacks and drinks.
3. Research location. Many campgrounds have Web sites that allow you to see a map or even photos of individual campsites. Click here for Washington State Parks. Or, click here for campsites in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Books (try Woodall’s) are available as well. Consider proximity to water, restrooms, trail access, etc.
4. Reservations are a must on weekends, especially holiday weekends.
5. Check the weather before you leave home. Online: www.accuweather.com.
6. Make a rain plan. Bring a book or card games that can be played in the tent.
7. Enjoying being together. Get everyone involved at their level — even if it’s just drying one dish.
8. Leave behind only footprints.
9. Roast at least one marshmallow.
10. Don’t forget your pillow.
Filed under Camping, From the Mag